[postgis-users] Using PostGIS for latitude & longitude

James David Smith james.david.smith at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 02:32:32 PST 2012

Dear Neville,

I would first start with making a proper 'geometry' column rather than
using your Lat and Long columns. You would do this with code like
this:

SELECT AddGeometryColumn ('table_name','the_geom',27700,'POINT',2);

Notes about this:

'the_geom' is an arbitrary column name. Call it what you like.
27700 is the SRID of your data. If you are working with data in WGS84
then it would be replaced with the value 4326
'POINT' defines the type of geometry that is being stored. This could
be 'LINESTRING' or 'LINE' etc.
2 is the dimensions.

Once you have a geometry column, you might then populate it with data
from your latitude and longitude columns by doing this:

UPDATE table_name
SET the_geom = st_makepoint("longitude", "latitude");

Thanks

James