[postgis-users] Rv: Postgis for Postgres 64 bits

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Feb 3 18:18:54 PST 2012

What people are interested in seeing a 64-bit windows build of PostGIS and
willing to pay for it?  We've heard a lot of people mention it,
but unfortunately as Bborie said, we've run into some build issues with
getting GEOS and GDAL to compile so its not trivial. A lot of the pieces we
do have compiling under mingw-64.

I think the issues are not insurmountable, but will take a lot of our time
and possibly time of other PostGIS devs to help us out which we'd have to
fund.

We were thinking of having a pledge drive similar to what Sandro had for
topology to collect enough money to focus on the effort. Would people be
interested in say putting up $100 each for that?  If we get about 20-30
people willing to do that, I think we can jump over the mingw-64 hurdles and
then later eventually have a VC++ native build.  Perhaps even have some
funds to package in pgrouting (for 32bit and 64-bit).

We'd be willing to set aside time from our consulting work to work on it, if
we could replace the lost consulting income.

Would people be interested in it?
As it stands I think mingw-64 is still the easiest since there are too many
pieces of the PostGIS environment that assume a unix like toolchain.

Once we have it working, we'd be willing to do the work of continually
making the build available as we currently do with the 32-bit windows stack
builder builds.

Thanks,
Regina and Leo
http://www.postgis.us