[postgis-users] error: conversion to non-scalar type requested

Bborie Park bkpark at ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 9 14:15:42 PST 2012

On 02/09/2012 01:13 PM, Tam, Edison (IS) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to build the PostGIS from source.  I followed the instruction until step 13: Compiling LibXML2.  For some reason the following error shows up:
>
> testThreads.c: In function 'main':
> testThreads.c:110:6: error: conversion to non-scalar type requested
>
> However, if I compile it under Cygwin, it would not happen.  It only appears in MinGW.
>
> Does anyone has any ideas?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Edison

Edison,

Do what is suggested at the following page under the libxml2 section for
Windows.

http://threedepict.sourceforge.net/compiling.html

{{{
     Ran ./configure
     -- Failure on libtoolT (I ignored this).
     Ran make
     - Failed on testThreads.c. In that file, on line 110: tid[i]=
(pthread_t)-1; should be

     	tid[i].p= NULL;
     	tid[i].x=-1;

     as pthread_t is a struct under windows ( see Pthreads faq, Q11)
looking in pthread.h:

     	typedef struct {
     	    void  p;                   /* Pointer to actual object */
     	    unsigned int x;             /* Extra information - reuse count
etc */
     	} ptw32_handle_t;

     Ran make install
}}}