[postgis-users] A faster way to find "adjacent" polygons

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jan 4 06:38:29 PST 2012

You could try to simplify the polygons before doing the dwithin test.

SELECT *
   FROM polygons p1
   JOIN polygons p2 ON p1.id < p2.id
        AND ST_DWithin(ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology(p1.geog,100),
                       ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology(p2.geog,100), 100,
                       false)

You might need to adjust the tolerance and the distance.

-Steve