[postgis-users] Are there any Ubuntu PPAs that serve PostGIS 2.0 beta releases?

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:00:37 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:44:16 AM UTC-7, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:40:22 AM UTC-7, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
>>
>> It does look like a GDAL upgrade to 1.9 would be a good idea though if
>> the final version will require it. I have plenty of experience building
>> this stuff from maintaining most of the GIS stack for the Homebrew package
>> manager on OS X. Entirely new to Debian packaging though, so that will slow
>> me down quite a bit.
>>
>> -Charlie
>>

> Actually, after re-reading the installation notes, it doesn't look like
> GDAL 1.9 is mandatory---just that GDAL >= 1.6 will be mandatory once
> PostGIS 2.0 is released.
>
> -Charlie

Allright, took a few jabs at this and here is what I have found so far:

  - Without GEOS 3.3.2, PostGIS must be configured `--without-topology` so
this definitely knocks out a big chunk of 2.0 functionality.

  - 2.0.0beta2 can compile against the dependencies supplied for PostGIS
1.5.x via `apt-get build-dep postgis` with the addition of GDAL 1.7.0 via
`apt-get install libgdal1-dev`. However, 2.0.0beta3, released today, and
the current SVN head fail during configure:

RASTER: Raster support requested
checking for GDAL >= 1.6.0... found
checking gdal.h usability... yes
checking gdal.h presence... yes
checking for gdal.h... yes
checking ogr_api.h usability... yes
checking ogr_api.h presence... yes
checking for ogr_api.h... yes
checking cpl_conv.h usability... yes
checking cpl_conv.h presence... yes
checking for cpl_conv.h... yes
checking for GDALAllRegister in -lgdal... no
configure: error: could not find gdal

This is odd, because running nm against the libraries shows that the symbol
is there:

vagrant at vagrant-64:~/postgis-2.0.0beta3$ nm --dynamic
/usr/lib/libgdal1.7.0.so | grep GDALAllRegister
000000000021a820 T GDALAllRegister

Don't know if this is a bug in the latest beta, or a problem with Ubuntu's
GDAL 1.7.0 libraries. Any advice would be appreciated.

-Charlie