[postgis-users] Are there any Ubuntu PPAs that serve PostGIS 2.0 beta releases?

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:11:11 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:00:37 PM UTC-7, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:

>   - 2.0.0beta2 can compile against the dependencies supplied for PostGIS
> 1.5.x via `apt-get build-dep postgis` with the addition of GDAL 1.7.0 via
> `apt-get install libgdal1-dev`. However, 2.0.0beta3, released today, and
> the current SVN head fail during configure:
>

> RASTER: Raster support requested
> checking for GDAL >= 1.6.0... found
> checking gdal.h usability... yes
> checking gdal.h presence... yes
> checking for gdal.h... yes
> checking ogr_api.h usability... yes
> checking ogr_api.h presence... yes
> checking for ogr_api.h... yes
> checking cpl_conv.h usability... yes
> checking cpl_conv.h presence... yes
> checking for cpl_conv.h... yes
> checking for GDALAllRegister in -lgdal... no
> configure: error: could not find gdal
>

> This is odd, because running nm against the libraries shows that the
> symbol is there:
>
> vagrant at vagrant-64:~/postgis-2.0.0beta3$ nm --dynamic /usr/lib/
> libgdal1.7.0.so | grep GDALAllRegister
> 000000000021a820 T GDALAllRegister
>

> Don't know if this is a bug in the latest beta, or a problem with Ubuntu's
> GDAL 1.7.0 libraries. Any advice would be appreciated.
>

> -Charlie

Found the problem in config.log:

    configure:19617: gcc -o conftest  -I/usr/include/gdal  conftest.c
-lgdal  -L/usr/lib -lgdal1.7.0 >&5
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdal

The configure script is trying to link against both libgdal and
libgdal1.7.0, but libgdal.so does not exist, only libgdal1.7.0.so.
According to config.log, this has been identified and stored in
LIBGDAL_LDFLAGS:

    LIBGDAL_LDFLAGS='-L/usr/lib -lgdal1.7.0'

But the test scripts are still trying to pass `-lgdal`. Looks like a bug in
the PostGIS configure script.

-Charlie