[postgis-users] PostGIS 2.0.0beta3

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Mar 14 13:46:08 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 03:41:52PM -0500, Andy Colson wrote:

> I followed the pg_upgrade instructions.
>
> 1) run pg91/bin/inidb
> 2) install extensions (in this case postgis 2.0)
> 3) stop all versions of pg
> 4) run: pg91/bin/pg_upgrade (with paths to old and new)

Uhm, I guess by "extensions" they mean _real_ extensions,
and assuming the dump would only contain _real_ extensions.
PostGIS 1.5 wasn't an extension so won't work.

> It complained it could not load postgis-1.5 in the newdb, which is
> correct, because I installed postgis-2.0.

That would not necessarely be a problem.
The problem will be restoring old pl/pgsql functions, which doesn't
even give you an error message I guess.

> I'm now attempting backup pg 9.0 postgis 1.5, and restore it to my
> new pg 9.1 postgis 2.0.

Make sure you follow the "Hard upgrade" procedure described
on the PostGIS manual.
Should happily bring you from 9.0/1.5 to 9.1/2.0.
And we're all very interested in any problem with that.

--strk;