[postgis-users] Retrieving linestring data between endpoints

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Thu Sep 6 13:11:53 PDT 2012

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012, Nicolas Ribot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe this thread about closing contour polylines can give some hints:
> http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2012-May/034149.html

Much thanks. This script is worth exploring.

> Do you have sample data we could play with ?

The data that I sourced is here:
National Transportation atlas Database
http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_atlas_database/

Oak Ridge National Laboratory - CTA Network
http://cta.ornl.gov/transnet/RailRoads.html

I don't have readily available city point data; but that shouldn't be a
challenge in finding.

My thinking now is to try and create a polygon with two endpoint, say
Edmonton and Vancouver, and play with the diameter (20, 40 miles, etc.),
trying to see which rail lines fall within the polygon. Possibly from
that, I can construct a single linestring based some form of ownership
(the BTS data is only for the US; the ORNL data is for North America).

> Nicolas

Much thanks again,

Max