[postgis-users] create 1 cell/polygon per point inside bounding polygon

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Sep 8 20:30:24 PDT 2012

Hi Daniel,

Do you want regular cells or polygons?

There are a few approaches for generating voronoi polygons in Postgis:

eg:
http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=postgresql_plr_tut02
http://geogeek.garnix.org/2012/04/faster-voronoi-diagrams-in-postgis.html

If your points already represent the centre of cells, then a fishnet approach would work, generate a mesh to match the grid, then do a spatial join on points inside cells to generate the match. You just need to know the extent & size of the grid:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiCreateFishnet

HTH,

   Brent Wood