[postgis-users] Can we store physical locations using local coordinate system in postGIS?

Harshal Vora harshal at amideeptech.com
Fri Aug 16 02:09:50 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am new to PostGIS. I have been going through the documents. I have
until now understood that we can provide coordinates for any physical
location but the coordinates should make sense in one of the coordinate
systems available in the SRID table.

We are working on a product where we would like to store floor plans of
buildings into PostGIS. We want to use our own coordinate system (in
feet or meters). Also we want to store a hierarchy of physical locations
i.e. building contains floors, floors contains rooms etc. We want to
provide local coordinate systems to each level in the hierarchy and also
provide capability to convert from one coordinate system to another as
we move up and down the hierarchy.

Is it possible in PostGIS to store hierarchical relations? Is it
possible to use local coordinate systems and provide info on how to
convert from one coordinate system to another?

Eventually we would like to convert local coordinate system to lat/lon
coordinate system. We can provide rules to convert, but how do you store
all this in PostGIS?

Regards,