[postgis-users] Overlapping of polygons with SimplifyPreserveTopology

Luca Morandini lmorandini at ieee.org
Thu Dec 12 12:50:07 PST 2013

On 11/12/13 19:15, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> A topological approach would solve it.
> Simplifying a polygon may overlap with the still-unsimplified
> adjacent one, so you can't check after each single simplification.
> You could check afterwards, at the end, but then resolving one
> overlap on one side may introduce another overlap in the other side.
>
> Really, you need to model your data topologically, then simplify
> edges, rather than full polygon boundaries.

Actually, I simplified (with ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology) one edge at a time, but
did not check at every step (I was under the impression that this function did
preserve topology).

> See http://strk.keybit.net/blog/2012/04/13/simplifying-a-map-layer-using-postgis-topology/

Thanks, this did the trick. It would be useful to add it to PostGIS.

Regards,

Luca Morandini
Data Architect - AURIN project
Melbourne eResearch Group
Department of Computing and Information Systems
University of Melbourne
Tel. +61 03 903 58 380
Skype: lmorandini