[postgis-users] How can I create a point at a known distance & bearing from a point in Postgis?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Dec 15 08:57:23 PST 2013

Thanks David - I do indeed...

Cheers,

Brent

________________________________
 From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml at gmail.com>
To: Brent Wood <pcreso at pcreso.com>; PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at lists.osgeo.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [postgis-users] How can I create a point at a known distance & bearing from a point in Postgis?

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Brent Wood <pcreso at pcreso.com> wrote:

>Hi,

 have a dataset with start & end points that we are represtnting as
linestrings. Many records do not have endpoints - so we are takimg the
median bearling for comparable startpoints & creating an arbitrary
endpoint.

>While it is easy to get a bearing for a known endpoint
with ST_Azimuth(), is there a simple way in Postgis to get the point at a
 defined distance & bearing? I've perused the docs & nothing
jumped out as an obvious solution.

Sounds like you need ST_Project()

Regards

David Rowley