[postgis-users] ST_RotateX with pointOrigin!

Stephen Mather stephen at smathermather.com
Mon Dec 16 17:53:29 PST 2013

Simpler often is less flexible.  That's the trade-off.  You want infinite
flexibility, create a matrix, whether affine, Eulerian, from the discipline
of geology, or otherwise.  Boom, problem solved.

Measured/monitored systems often have these parameters as orthogonally
bound parameters, e.g.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rollpitchyawplain.png

For these systems, the low friction between stored parameters and
calculated rotations makes sense to me.  This is the use case that easily
comes to me, and the inspiration for the code.  The most generic function
already exists-- ST_Affine. I'm not looking to supplant this.

Mature 3D systems such as PovRay have both, and for a reason.

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/trans/trans_400e.htm
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/trans/trans_200e.htm

There's value to PostGIS also having both, whether just in my small toolkit
or added to PostGIS makes no difference to my use of PostGIS.

Best,
Steve