[postgis-users] Old question resurfacing

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 01:55:58 PST 2013

The LOD problem is much more complicated for city, because you hit the
"generalization" problem.
To simplify : there is currently no satisfactory automated way to generate
complex 3D or 2D geographic information in multiple level of details.
It is actively researched.

The closest format we have for 3D city model is CityGML (
http://www.citygml.org/).
It is a de facto standard currently.
It contains 4 LOD. Those are more semantic LOD and not very suitable for
massiv data.

Truth to be told, we don't even have a standard way of storing 3D model (+
texture, + semantic) in DB.

Current postgis type are far from sufficient, and it would need a more high
level structure (several tables and types linked)

Cheers,

Rémi-C