[postgis-users] Is it worth to load background raster into postgis?

Pietro Rossin pierigis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 05:19:15 PST 2013

Hi
Thanks Paolo
How can I store my images to be served as WMS?

@Pierre
The advantages are a lot considering our situation.
At first, all our base offical regional data are in dxf format, crazy but
true..
These are 983 dxf that I converted into three postgis tables, 3D polylines,
block and text placeholders, with indexes on geometry and layer names. All
these data are read only and they are used mainly for background and/or for
data extraction for various pourposes. They can be all queried by spatial
relationship and extracted by layer name.
There is advantage on extraction performance and disk space (14Gb db space
against 90Gb dxf)..
Besides these data there are administrative vectorial data, data on land
use, wells, lots of data that can be modified.
The performance over the network is good, expecially when you extract data
for small areas.

I don't know if these performances could be the same with raster...
I mean, if I load the ecw's on a postgis database, which could be the ratio
on disk space between ecw compressed image and raster table?
The refreshing of views are as fast as with ecw?
Does the postgis database grow up too much with raster?

I don't know.. I'm just testing these possibility but I'm not an  IT expert

Thank you all
Pietro

2013/2/6 Pierre Racine-2 [via PostGIS] <ml-node+s17n5002528h92 at n6.nabble.com