[postgis-users] Postgis raster : storage performance ?

Bborie Park bkpark at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jan 11 09:18:32 PST 2013

The key difference between out-db and in-db is that in-db rasters can be
modified.  Out-db is read-only (and will most likely never be modifiable
due to file format and file system issues).

I do recommend using out-db when the source rasters are immutable and
contain a large number of bands (such as a model output raster file with
one band per day).  In testing, the performance differences are harder
to quantify due to different hardware setups (how much data?  how many
spindles?  how much RAM?).  I get different results when using my
production database servers vs smaller dev-oriented servers.

PostGIS has no problems with out-db compressed rasters.  As long as GDAL
supports it, PostGIS supports it.  As for in-db, the raster format lets
PostgreSQL decide if the data should be compressed.

-R instructs raster2pgsql to load the source rasters as out-db.  This
means that instead of storing the rasters themselves in the database,
only the source raster's full path is stored.

-bborie