[postgis-users] VMWare and PostGIS

Stephen V. Mather svm at clevelandmetroparks.com
Sat Jan 12 16:36:31 PST 2013

Hi All,
I should have asked this a long time ago regarding performance... .  So the classic storage solution (AFAIK) for a spatial database is RAID 10 for maximum read and write speed.  I have a RAID 10 running under a virtualization layer (VMWare in this case) and my sustained read speeds are in the 1Gbps range.  The hardware is oldish, but they are 10k SAS drives, so I would expect something a bit faster.
        To the question-- I know virtualization makes a (not-so-good) difference in performance running spatial databases on e.g. Amazon EC2 instances.  I assume this penalty is paid even for dedicated private clouds.  What is the consensus/experience with virtualization?  For my next machine, should I keep it to bare metal for the PostGIS portion?

Thanks in advance,
Best,
Steve

[http://sig.cmparks.net/cmp-ms-90x122.png] Stephen V. Mather