[postgis-users] clip polygons

Marta Debolini martadebolini at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 09:01:02 PST 2013

Hi,
I am a new postgis user, so sorry if my request seems trivial for someone.

I have to clip a polygon with another polygon file. I was used to do this
operation with the simple comand "clip" in GRASS or QGIS.
How can I do the same operation in postgis? I tried with sy_intersect, but
it takes also the polygons outside my area, which simply intersect the
border.
The request I wrote is:

CREATE TABLE w_md.x
AS (SELECT area, a.the_geom
    FROM oc a, co b
    WHERE st_intersects(a.the_geom, b.the_geom));

    ALTER TABLE w_md.x_1999 ADD column ggid1 serial;
     ALTER TABLE w_mdi.x_1999 ADD PRIMARY KEY (ggID1);

Thank you for your help,

Marta