[postgis-users] How to Import ESRI Geodatabase format .gdb created by ArcGIS 9.3.1?

Martin Feuchtwanger feumar at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 29 10:34:12 PST 2013

I ran into the same problem. Luckily, my data provider re-exported the
4.5GB GDB file for me, using the newer ArcGIS 10.
Here's a heads-up for two /other /potential problems, though:

 1. The second GDB still wouldn't load because the data were saved as
    having a "custom" SRS (spatial ref sys). The FileGDB utility that
    ogr2ogr uses -- and as provided by Esri -- will only work on a
    "standard" SRS. Luckily, my data provider again (cheerfully?)
    re-exported the 4.5GB GDB file for me, using a standard SRS!
 2. There was a problem with OGR in the change from 1.9.1 (2012/05/15)
    to 1.9.2 (2012-10-08), when using FileGDB. The ogr2ogr process won't
    work using version 1.9.2 -- but will when using 1.9.1. (The cause:
    incompatible Visual Studio compilations of ogr2ogr and fileGDB.)

Hope that helps save you most of the time that i wasted ;-)

Martin Feuchtwanger  feumar at shaw.ca  604-254-0361
302 - 1429 E 4th Ave,  Vancouver, BC  V5N 1J6
http://members.shaw.ca/geomatics.developer