[postgis-users] importing tables from Oracle

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Mon Jun 24 14:07:02 PDT 2013

I know this is more of a Postgres question than PostGIS...

I want to import some tables from our primary Oracle database into a
Postgres 9 database on a regular basis, probably weekly.  Once in Postgres,
I have some scripts that create spatial objects, create indexes, and the
tables are then using in GeoServer and desktop GIS.

Are there any preferred methods to get tables from Oracle to Postgres?
 dblink seems to be only for other Postgres databases.  The Perl package
Ora2pg seems like an option but haven't heard of it before today.  A simply
brute force method could to be write a simple program to extract the oracle
tables into CSV files and then run postgres COPY to ingest the files.  Not
very elegant but should work.  Thanks.

- John

John Callahan
Research Scientist