[postgis-users] PostGIS Raster ST_Value ST_SetValue performance

Hugues François hugues.francois at irstea.fr
Fri Jun 28 04:08:33 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm not sure to understand the problem, but I'll give a try.

You can try to reproduce Oracle's steps and make a plpg function that
1. first create a new table, or a multidimentionnal array, where you can store columnx, rowy (this can be done since you know the origin and cell size, calculating distance between origine and min x or y from geometries devided by cell size), your value and cell geom.
2. Then, you may make an empty raster from the extent of your entire geometries' table and fill it with values using columnx et rowy information.

Things should go faster if you try to work with a tiled and indexed raster (in this case you will have to store an rid in your geometries' table)

Hope this helps a bit

Hugues.