[postgis-users] Generating geometry from a quadtree

Arnaud Vandecasteele arnaud.sig at gmail.com
Wed May 8 12:13:07 PDT 2013

Hello Postgis Members,

I spent my day trying to find a nice way to solve my problem but I
didn't find any.
I hope you will be able t help me.

Let's start by the beginning.
I've got a Gis Table that will be fill by polygon features.
These features can have different sizes and they can overlap them.
These features could be everywhere around the globe.
And some "places" can have a high density of polygons where overs not or
few.

I'm trying to find a nice way to represent these features (and their
attributes).
The easiest way will probably be to use a regular grid and to calculate
the value of each cell using the value of the polygons.
But doing that I will probably have a lot of empty cells.
So I was thinking that something like a QuadTree representation [1]
could be a better idea.

Do you have any idea how I could do that?

Thanks

Arnaud

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadtree