[postgis-users] The first release of the PostGIS Add-ons is out!

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Mon Nov 18 11:04:11 PST 2013

Le 11/18/2013 12:25 PM, Stephen Woodbridge a écrit :
> On 11/18/2013 12:20 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> On 18 November 2013 17:13, Pierre Racine <Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm a license ignorant.
>>
>> Release it into the public domain and
>> include a statement that you release all rights
>> adding "No rights reserved".
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>   +1 on this because it is the most friendly and can be used by everyone
> regardless of license that they are using. It absolutely has no license
> conflicts.

Although I'm a very big fan of public domain, it has its own limitations.
For instance, some countries (randomly picked: France) do not allow one to
declare its creation in the public domain. This is something that's granted
from its nature (e.g. a representative speech or a math formula) or that is
gained after a couple of decades after the death of the author (which is
quite unlikely for PostGIS).

Instead, I would much favor explicit licenses, such as the much simple
(2-clauses) BSD [1] or the Creative Common Zero [2]. Both of them give the
user the maximum flexibility and make sure there is no license conflict
afterwards. The BSD, my favorite, is also super easy to read and understand.

Sincerely,
Mathieu.

[1] http://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause

[2] https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

> Best,
>    -Steve

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard