[postgis-users] PostGIS and logging

Shira Bezalel shira at sfei.org
Wed Jan 22 14:41:31 PST 2014

We've done a bit more digging on this issue and I think I know what's
happening now.

The frequent NOTICE messages in the server log are related to a PostgreSQL
function call from a PHP script in one of our web applications. The
function issues ST_IsValid against a column in a table that has many
invalid geometries. The function uses dblink to access the table because it
resides in a different PostgreSQL database than the one in which the
function resides. If I run the SQL from the function directly in the
database in which the table lives, no NOTICE is sent to the server log. If
I execute the function in the database (in which the function lives), I get
the NOTICE messages in the server log. So I think this is a dblink issue,
and PostGIS was a red herring.

Shira