[postgis-users] Restoring a dump

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon May 19 08:15:56 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 09:39:20AM -0500, Jayson Gallardo wrote:
> Hey, all. So, we recently re-did our server. We were previously running
> Ubuntu, and now we are running Debian. I had performed a pg_dumpall on our
> Postgres database (with PostGIS) and would now like to restore said dump.
> However, I want to make sure I do it right.

Follow the instructions here:
http://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.1/postgis_installation.html#hard_upgrade

> Since I dumped everything, will I need to create all the databases before
> restoring the dump?
>
> I should probably install the Postgis plug-in first, right?

You should create the databases and spatially-enable them
(could be a chance to switch to EXTENSION-based install).

> My dump is pretty big at 101 GB (it contains 3m resolution DEMs of Iowa).
> Is there anything I need to do in order to minimize errors in the restore?

I guess you could reinstall each database separately, to at least
be more in control of what fails ...

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign  --  Keep it simple !
 /\  http://strk.keybit.net/rants/ascii_mails.txt