[postgis-users] polygons to linestrings

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:28:11 PDT 2014

I have a polygon table that I want to convert to linestrings without any
duplicated (overlapping) linestrings. I'm doing this simply to improve
cartography so I'm looking for a quick and dirty approach, avoiding
topology if possible.

The closest I've gotten so far is to break the polygons boundaries into
simple (two vertex) lines and delete all the duplicate lines. Now I'm stuck
getting the simple lines back into polylines. Just doing a union of the
whole mess isn't getting me individual linestrings.

All this is turning into more steps that I anticipated and I wonder if I'm
missing simpler approach?

Thanks,
Rich

--