[postgis-users] Difference between "Geometry" and "BLOB" in Postgis

Robert Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Fri Oct 31 10:49:59 PDT 2014

Working at the module level in Drupal, creating queries with spatial
operators for Views.  Basically, Drupal's GeoField module stores geoms as
"bytea", which the PostGIS functions seem to handle quite nicely without a
cast.  Ultimately, I will push to have the database column in GeoField
created as a "Geometry" type in order to be certain not to cause problems
with PostGIS functions.  But for the moment, I am trying to assess the
likelihood that some PostGIS function somewhere actually relies upon
something that's baked into the Geometry type.  I am focused on basic
relationship operators like contains, within, overlaps and intersects.

/r/b
Robert W. Burgholzer
 'Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated
simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.'  - Charles Mingus
Athletics: http://athleticalgorithm.wordpress.com/
Science: http://robertwb.wordpress.com/
Wine: http://reesvineyard.wordpress.com/