[postgis-users] Exporting raster table into a file

DanielFranco dfranco at computacao.ufla.br
Thu Sep 4 08:05:43 PDT 2014

I'm reclassifying a landsat image in PostGIS 2.0 using the ST_Reclass
function in a big raster (size about 50000x70000) and I'm trying to check
the results in the new raster table I created that contains the reclassified
raster. So, I decided to export the raster table to a file to check the
results, but gdal_translate is taking too much time to export (1 hour and
progress is in 40%). The command I'm using is:

gdal_translate -of GTiff --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 512 "PG:host='localhost'
dbname='raster' user='postgres' password='postgres' schema='public'
table='mosaic' mode='2' " new_raster_directory.tif

Is there a way to export the whole image faster? It seems like the
"\lo_export thing" only exports tiles of the raster, but i'm not sure about
that. Is there an easier way to visualize the raster without exporting? I
heard that QGIS has an plugin for that, but someone can tell me that it is
good/fast/etc?