[postgis-users] PostgreSQL, PostGIS & Slony-I

Yoder, Andrew (AYODER) AYODER at arinc.com
Fri Dec 11 14:44:03 PST 2015

Hello,

I have a PostgreSQL 9.1/PostGIS 1.5 database that I am planning to upgrade to PostgreSQL 9.4/PostGIS 2.1  The current upgrade via the “hard method” as referenced in the PostGIS docs is taking around 10-13 minutes after a lot of tweaking to the database config and data being upgraded.  I am evaluating other methods of upgrading to see if I can lessen the amount of downtime.  Has anyone used Slony-I to do this type of upgrade (i.e. replicate across versions of PostgreSQL/PostGIS)?  The docs say going from 1.5 to 2.1 requires dump/restore via postgis_restore.pl.  I assume this perl script is used to handle the special geometry related data/functions – how would this be accomplished via a Slony-I (or any other) upgrade?  I am still fairly new to PostGIS and totally new to Slony-I, so any assistance/input/idea is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Andy Yoder