[postgis-users] Convert from Lat/Long point to postGIS geometry

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Feb 2 20:20:02 PST 2015

Hi.
Try something like:

update <table> set <geometry column> = ST_SetSRID(ST_MakePoint(Longitude, Latitude),4326);
Essentially create a point geometry from your numeric values, with the ST_MakePoint() function, the inform Postgis it is a standard lat/long CS (EPSG:4326 - which you should have specified when you created the column), & update the table with these values for each row. Make sure you use your table & column names....
What mapping/GIS program are you using?

Cheers,
  Brent Wood