[postgis-users] Extension upgrade has no update path 2.1.1 to 2.1.7

Moen, Paul T. pmoen at nd.gov
Mon Jul 20 13:25:04 PDT 2015

I am upgrading from postgis 2.1.1 to 2.1.7 using extensions.

After entering the following,

ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.1.7”;

I get error

ERROR:  extension "postgis" has no update path from version "2.1.1" to version "2.1.7"

ERROR: extension "postgis" has no update path from version "2.1.1" to version "2.1.7"

SQL state: 22023

The documentation says

If you get an error notice something like:

No migration path defined for ... to 2.1.9dev

Then you'll need to backup your database, create a fresh one as described in Section 2.6, “Creating a spatial database using EXTENSIONS”<http://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.1/postgis_installation.html#create_new_db_extensions> and then restore your backup ontop of this new database.

Is it typical to have no update path within 2.1.x versions?  How many versions typically have an upgrade path?  Am I wrong in saying that extensions have a worse upgradeability within 2.1.x versions as compared to not using the extensions or would the postgis_upgrade_21_minor.sql also fail going from 2.1.1 to 2.1.7.

Thanks for any insight,

Paul