[postgis-users] Encountering error while installing postgis from source?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jul 6 20:36:55 PDT 2016

I know there was a time when we didn't support parallel builds.  I'm not sure if we do now, so first

1) I would try removing the -j 4

2) If you are on a headless Linux box, there is no point in building --with-gui.  That just builds the shp2pgsql-gui and requires GTK to do so.
If you have some sort of windowing then go ahead, but you may want to try first without it if it doesn't work with

3) You do not need to cd and make in every folder, doing the following should be sufficient:

export POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION=2.2.2
cd ${postgis_src_path}/configuration/postgis/postgis-$POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION
&& ./configure --with-pgconfig=${build_root}/bin/pg_config
--with-jsondir=${build_root} --with-projdir=${build_root} --with-geosconfig=${build_root}/bin/geos-config
--with-gdalconfig=${build_root}/bin/gdal-config
make clean
make && make install

4) this error
lwout_wkb.c: In function  empty_to_wkb_buf :
lwout_wkb.c:319:22: error:  NAN  undeclared (first use in this function)
   static double nn = NAN;
                      ^
lwout_wkb.c:319:22: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in

I've seen that before  might be GCC version specific - which GCC version are you running?

You also might want to check you don't have a dangling liblwgeom.h hanging around in you install paths like /local/include.  I know that's given me all sorts of random issues before
that purging them fixes.

Hope that helps,
Regina

I am using the following command to make and make install postgis-2.2.2 from source and I have all the other dependencies configured properly -

export POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION=2.2.2
cd ${postgis_src_path}/configuration/postgis/postgis-$POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION
&& ./configure --with-pgconfig=${build_root}/bin/pg_config
--with-jsondir=${build_root} --with-projdir=${build_root} --with-geosconfig=${build_root}/bin/geos-config
--with-gdalconfig=${build_root}/bin/gdal-config
cd ${postgis_src_path}/configuration/postgis/postgis-$POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION
&& make -j 4
cd ${postgis_src_path}/configuration/postgis/postgis-$POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION
&& make clean
cd ${postgis_src_path}/configuration/postgis/postgis-$POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION
&& make install
cd
${postgis_src_path}/configuration/postgis/postgis-$POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION/extensions
&& make
cd
${postgis_src_path}/configuration/postgis/postgis-$POSTGIS_BUILD_VERSION/extensions
&& make install

After the above commands execute the configure step terminates gracefully with all the configuration files set up properly and I can see the following on my screen

PostGIS is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

The make process however fails with make: *** [all] Error 1  and I see the following message on my screen

lwout_wkb.c: In function  empty_to_wkb_buf :
lwout_wkb.c:319:22: error:  NAN  undeclared (first use in this function)
   static double nn = NAN;
                      ^
lwout_wkb.c:319:22: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[1]: *** [lwout_wkb.lo] Error 1

does anyone have any idea as to why is this happening, I searched about it and it seems to be related to GCC erroring out. I am not sure as this is my first experience with building postgis. Thanks in advance.