[postgis-users] Question on topology

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jun 30 02:25:22 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have a table with CurvePolygon geometry and I'd like to extract
CompoundCurve or Linestring geometry for the purpose of landcover
symbology in a complex map design. The common polygon borders should
exist in the data only once, but I'd need to know which land cover types
(attached to the original CurvePolygons) are left and right of the
border.

Is there a method in Postgis to create a Topology, eliminating double
borders from the original CurvePolygons and attaching left and right
attributes from the original polygons? I came across the Postgis
topology module. Is this the recommended way of achieving my above goal?

Unfortunately, there are only few ressources or examples around Postgis
topology and from the first glimpse it looks a bit complicated to use.
It also looks like it can't handle CurvePolygons as input - right? I
would have to coerce first to POLYGON geometries - right? It is ok for
me if the circular arcs are segmentized, as this data is not for
editing/analysis, but only for symbology purposes.

If you have any hints or examples, please let me know!

Thanks,

Andreas