[postgis-users] <-> operator does not return true distance

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jul 13 13:50:56 PDT 2017

Jakob,

Did you upgrade your install from an older version say 9.4.

I think if you did a pg_upgrade, and didn't do a ALTER EXTENSION postgis.
after upgrade, this would explain your issue since the operators would not
get upgraded.

On my PostGIS 2.3.2, 9.6 behavior is as expected.  Unfortunately I don't
have 2.2.2 lying around at moment.

Also there was an ordering bug I think in 2.2 early version that may have
caused this.  If that is your issue, then output of <-> would be real even
though ordering is wrong.

Try this query:

SELECT id,

       ST_Distance(my_point.geom,

                   my_polygons.geom) AS real_distance,

       ST_Distance(my_point.geom,

                   ST_Centroid(my_polygons.geom)) AS centroid_distance,
my_point.geom <-> my_polygons.geom

FROM (

    SELECT 'blue' AS id, ST_Polygon(ST_GeomFromText('LINESTRING(0 3, 2 3,  2
4, 0 4 ,0 3)'),4326) AS geom

    UNION

    SELECT 'green' AS id,  ST_Polygon(ST_GeomFromText('LINESTRING(2 0, 8 0 ,
8 2, 2 2 ,2 0)'),4326) AS geom

) AS my_polygons,

(

    SELECT ST_SetSRID(ST_Point(1, 1),4326) AS geom

) AS my_point

ORDER BY my_point.geom <-> my_polygons.geom

-- output should be --

  id   | real_distance | centroid_distance | ?column?

green |             1 |                 4 |        1

blue  |             2 |               2.5 |        2

(2 rows)

Hope that helps,

Regina

http://postgis.us