[postgis-users] What's the Fastest way to find if Polygons cover an input point?

Devdatta Tengshe devdatta at tengshe.in
Tue Jul 3 03:50:08 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I'm developing an API which will help us figure out if we can server a
potential customer. For this, I have a PostGIS Table with polygon
representing the service area of each of our store. There could be up to
10,000 polygons in the table. These polygons are geometries in EPSG:4326
and has a Gist Index.

Currently I'm using the following query to figure out if we can potentially
service the customer:

Select count(id) from service_areas where
ST_CoveredBy(ST_SetSRID(ST_MakePoint(78.46239,17.30360),4326), geom);

Is there a faster way to get if any of the polygons cover my input Point?

Regards,
Devdatta