[postgis-users] PostGIS case usages

Devdatta Tengshe devdatta at tengshe.in
Wed Oct 31 22:40:18 PDT 2018

Hi Regina,

We are a Spatial Analytics company which has diversified into developing
standard WebApps and tools. PostGres+PostGIS is the only database that we
use company-wide, whether the solution involves GIS or not.

Out Usage of PostGIS is varied, and includes things like:

1)We have began to love the ability to do spatial Analytics (Overlay,
Spatial Join etc) in the Database, instead of doing that in a Desktop GIS.
This has given us an ability to have repeatable processes instead of
error-prone point and click, Manual processes.
2)In many of our projects, the client is not GIS-savvy, and the application
is not a GIS portal. But Having PostGIS in the backend gives us the ability
to develop functionality which users expect, like find the closest store
and the like.
3)We also develop simple, light-weight APIs on a SASS model, which allow
our clients to send a query containing the end-user's lat-long, and we can
return whether or not they fall in a given polygon (Say service areas of a
stores, or areas where discounts are available and so on)

Regards,
Devdatta