[postgis-users] postgis_raster undefined symbol error

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Oct 10 04:19:28 PDT 2023

Andy Knight via postgis-users <postgis-users at lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> I'm trying to create a postgis_raster extension and I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> CREATE EXTENSION postgis_raster;
>
> ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/pgsql-13/lib/postgis_raster-3.so":
> /usr/libspatialite50/lib/libspatialite.so.8: undefined symbol:
> GEOSHilbertCode_r
>
> The instance is running on Rocky 8 linux details as below;:

You are having a Rocky problem not a postgis problem, almost certainly,
and I would raise this with the Rocky geo packagers.

I will assume your system is in a valid state per Rocky doctrine.  I am
not the least bit confident, but if you aren't sure you should step into
Rocky land from postgis and ensure that before proceeding.

To debug this, you're going to have to either

  use ldd and nm -g or objdump to find out what symbols are defined and
  needed

  understand the build environment.  It looks like postgis was built
  against a different version of geos than spatialite.   In a correct
  packaging system, this won't happen, but I have no clue how Rocky
  intends to do this.

> NAME="Rocky Linux"
> VERSION="8.8 (Green Obsidian)"
> postgis31_13-utils-3.1.9-1.rhel8.x86_64
> postgis31_13-devel-3.1.9-1.rhel8.x86_64
> postgis31_13-client-3.1.9-1.rhel8.x86_64
> postgis31_13-3.1.9-1.rhel8.x86_64
> postgis31_13-docs-3.1.9-1.rhel8.x86_64

There are a lot of other packages that matter and you left them out.
But again this is a Rocky issue.