Exception handling the correct way

Michal Seidl michal.seidl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 06:55:13 PDT 2024

Hello,
is there any standard way how to catch Exceptions from Postgis functions?

For Example:
SELECT ST_Split(polygon_geom, polygon_geom)

result in general PostgreSQL InternalError exception with CODE XX000.

This is not very helpful to catch such specific error. It seem to me
that also any other errors raise this general InternalError. The only
way seems to read exception message, but is this the right way?

How to distinguish between different errors? I can not find anything in
Postgis documentation https://postgis.net/docs/manual-3.4/

Thanks Michal S.