[OSRS-PROJ] Interface ideas for Proj4

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Tue Mar 28 03:38:00 PST 2000

Dear Martin,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 07:35:13PM -0500, Martin Manningham wrote:
> the current API backward compatible, but we must create a new API, in
> C++,

your ideas about the API sound interesting. But I must say
that C++ should better not be used for the base development.
It makes sense as wrapper to include proj in your own C++
program.
It is less optimal for the base code, because proj is free software.
Frank Wamerdam currently volunteers as a maintainer, but other
people may follow. Additionally, co-authoring man power could be
be attracted. C++ is a less spoken and more complicated language
than many others. It is good for people who have a single
project done in a closed working group being involved deeply
(often the case for proprietary development).
For people jumping from software to software adding their
source code, fixing bugs it just takes time to understand the code
and hence they will spend no efford or even choose an alternativ
product.
Popular examples where C++ code has been a major problem: guppi (switching
after 1 year of desertion to C has vitalized development)
and mnemonic (which has the potential to beat netscape and msie, but
the main author seems unable to interest people to support in C++
programming).

I know that Frank Wamerdam ist one of the guys who are
very good in C++. Honestly I must say, that (though I have
done large projects in C++) I don't feel comfortable and efficient
when trying to program in C++.

Cheers

	Jan

--