[Proj] Method of reference to license within software code modules

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 16:43:25 PST 2009

Not a bash nor editorial.

Question: does/should a copy of the license that covers a program module be
placed within each and every source file??

I had been putting a copy of the MIT in every file of whatever that ends up in
a distubution tarball.  Is that necessary?  I doubt that a copy of the 10,000
lines of GPL ends up in each of Stallman's files.  ;-)

Is a reference and url (such as
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
sufficient?

Anyway, I feel that I have been a bit excessive.

Thanks.