[Proj] Optimal Albers Standard parallels

strebe at aol.com strebe at aol.com
Thu Apr 1 14:08:05 PDT 2010

Apologies for the long delay in responding. Determining the optimal Lambert azimuthal equal-area is equivalent to solving the "minimum covering circle problem" described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallest_circle_problem

Apparently it can be solved in linear time by an algorithm due to Meggido. This is unexpectedly (to me)  efficient. However, I have not examined the algorithm itself yet; technically the optimal LAEA problem is not QUITE the equivalent to the "minimum covering circle problem" unless the latter requires in its solution not only the radius of the circle, but also its location. The radius is irrelevant to the optimal LAEA problem; it is the center point that is required.

Regards,
— daan Strebe