[Proj] ESRI's standard_parallel_1 for Mercator morphedto latitude_of_origin

Melita Kennedy mkennedy2 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 17 10:58:40 PDT 2012

(yes, I know I'm top-posting and that it's not customary for the mailing list)

This may only get more confusing with the new EPSG Mercator and Stereographic variants. Currently, there are 4 Mercator variants (ignoring false easting/northing and easting/northing at false origin):

Mercator (Spherical)

  Latitude of natural origin
  Longitude of natural origin

Mercator (variant A) aka 1SP

  Latitude of natural origin (must equal zero)
  Longitude of natural origin
  Scale factor at natural origin

Mercator (variant B)

  Latitude of 1st standard parallel
  Longitude of natural origin

Mercator (variant C)

  Latitude of 1st standard parallel
  Longitude of natural origin
  Latitude of false origin

Esri currently supports variant B and the Spherical version indirectly through Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) or by using a sphere-based geographic CRS. Esri wants "Central Meridian" and "Standard Parallel 1". Internally, we use an array to store parameters. SP1 and LatOfOrigin use different slots so it wouldn't work by chance either.

Melita