[Proj] Coming releases of PROJ.4

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 24 02:25:21 PDT 2017

On 06/24/2017 10:46 AM, caress wrote:
>> On Jun 23, 2017, at 5:25 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> As the maintainer of the proj package in Debian I say that anyone using
>> an embedded copy of PROJ.4 instead of building with the proj package
>> should be taken behind the barn and shot.
>
> That would be me that you are talking about shooting, with respect to MB-System:
> http://www.mbari.org/data/mbsystem

No, I was speaking about Debian package maintainers who need to use the
packaged dependencies. Upstream developers have more leeway because they
need to support other distributions and operating systems too. Using
embedded copies of packaged libraries can rarely be justified in Debian.

mbsystem is not included in Debian, although the Debian package is
included in OSGeo-Live, and hence could be considered for inclusion in
Debian GIS. There hasn't been much demand for the package, and no one
volunteered to maintain the package in Debian, so it's only in
OSGeo-Live for the time being.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--