[PROJ] Use of EPSG codes in proj_create()

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Tue Apr 2 11:46:37 PDT 2019

Le 02/04/2019 à 20:13, Paul Ramsey a écrit :

> I understand (in an “I understand your premises but don’t share them”
> kind of way) the push back from the real live geodesists, but if PROJ
> doesn’t provide, then every downstream project is going to end up with
> one of these

This is debatable. In my past experience with GeoTools, the desire for
(longitude, latitude) axis order was largely caused by reluctance to use
mathematical constructs like affine transforms. The usual argument is
that peoples don't want to bother about such mathematics. I think it is
unfortunate, since 20 years of development in GIS convinced me that
mastering affine transforms enable better sofware, making issues like
axis order practically vanishing. More generally, even now I'm still
amazed by the power of mathematics (not just affine transforms). Of
course learning how to use affine transform and acquiring the discipline
to use them extensively requires effort, but the gain is largely worth
in my opinion. Downstream projects developed that way do not necessarily
need methods for reordering axes.

Note 1: this is of course not an objection against the inclusion of a
proj_normalize_for_visualization() method. This is only a reaction on
the "every downstream project will want (longitude, latitude)" thinking.

Note 2: in this email I'm talking about developers, of course not end users.

    Martin