[PROJ] some questions about the Barn Raising

Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez eduardo.rojas at soltig.net
Mon Apr 15 14:13:13 PDT 2019

Hi list!

My name is Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez Im a PROJ and QGIS enthusiast and I have
participated in some conversations here in this list of PROJ and in the
lists of QGIS. I am a promoter of the use of QGIS, PostGIS and Open Source
software in Costa Rica and I'm always teaching people how to use it and
giving support.

I have been invited to the first Open Source Conference on GIS and Remote
Sensing in Costa Rica, part of the Geo For All, since I have been a devout
follower of PROJ, GDAL and QGIS. I think it is a great opportunity to expose
the way in which coordinate reference systems are implemented and used in
software such as QGIS that are used by end users that do not necessarily
understand the complexity of such developments.

I want to promote the initiative "/GDAL Coordinate System Barn Raising"/
because in Costa Rica there has recently been a change of CRS - from CRTM05
(EPSG 5367) to CR-SIRGAS (EPSG 8906) - this is a hot topic at this moment. I
want to be able to explain how is the development and implementation of the
CRS and how they arrive at softwares like QGIS that are used by end users
with different skill levels.

if it is not too much trouble, I would like to know if someone can give me
some of their time (I promise it will not be much) to ask some questions
about the Barn Raising process inside GDAL, PROJ, libgeotiff, PostGIS, and
Spatialite open source toolchain and how this impacts the end user.

I have been reading the mailing list as well as this link
https://gdalbarn.com/ that explains the process  and made clear to me. but I
still do not understand how this comes to softwares like QGIS or PostGIS
that are used by many types of users. This is where I need more guidance.

One of my objectives is to take advantage of this opportunity to achieve a
change in the academy, since the universities are more of an Open Source
consumer and try to get it to contribute to different projects

thank you very much for the time and help

-----
Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez
Analista en SIG
SOLTIG