[PROJ] Seeking clarification on PROJ support for temporal transformations

Joel Haasdyk joel.haasdyk at customerservice.nsw.gov.au
Wed Aug 28 04:05:31 PDT 2019

Indeed,

Any regular tectonic plate motion can be expressed as a 3 parameter Euler Pole, which can in turn be expressed in the familiar Helmert 14 (15) parameter transformation format, as three Cartesian axial rotation rates (all other components equal 0).
See https://geodesy.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/NOAA_TR_NOS_NGS_0062.pdf
See http://www.quickclose.com.au/StanawayetalREFAGppt.pdf

Case in point are these:
EPSG:: 8049 GDA2020 <=> ITRF2014, with reference epoch 2020.0)
EPSG::8448 GDA2020 <=> WGS84(G1792), with 'parameter reference epoch' @2020.0)
Where GDA2020 is essentially a snapshot of ITRF2014 at 2020.0.

So EPSG can and does publish time-dependent transformations...
(this is not new, e.g. EPSG::8078 ITRF2000 <=> ITRF2014 for example)
...just not (yet) explicitly from CRS_A(@epoch1) to CRS_A(@epoch2). I could be wrong.
However... EPSG::8049 gives you all the info you need to transform from
ITRF2014(@epoch1) <=> ITRF2014(@2020.0) <=> ITRF2014(@epoch2)

Joel Haasdyk

Message: 5 from Digest 20