[PROJ] Is 16-bit quantization of values / (sub-)millimetric error in grids (sometimes) acceptable ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Dec 8 09:28:00 PST 2019

> This is less of a concern nowadays.

If that were only true... I've been bugged this week about an issue with
reprojecting data in the US from NAD27 to WGS84 with one software package and
having errors in the range 30 to 100 m. After digging, I found that this
software didn't ship with the proj-datumgrid-1.8 base package and thus lacked
the CONUS grid. The maintainer of the package is hesitating a bit to add an
extra 6 MB to it...

> If the concern is the size of the compressed data on disk, perhaps it is
> worth being a little bit more ambitious.  How about representing the
> data as integers (let's say 32-bit unsigned, but maybe it would be good
> to allow for 64-bit and for signed) with an offset and scale?

I've tried that with 20,- 24- and 32-bit integers and scaling/offseting on
EGM2008 and the resulting files are larger than using IEEE 32-bit float with
horizontal floating-point predictor & DEFLATE. Only going down to 16-bit
brings substential compression rate improvements. That's about all we can do
if we stay with what libtiff currently supports and not invent another codec.
A design constraint is that we should be able to open the grids with QGIS and
that they display correctly out-of-the box (which is the case we the solutions
I've investigated)