[PROJ] GOES Geostationary Projection

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jun 26 15:15:32 PDT 2019

> Gives the imagery not quite in the correct location.   I briefly looked at
> gdal_translate from proj at head and gdal at head, but our tiler is an
> older version of gdal that can read the post "RFC 73: Integration of PROJ6
> for WKT2" info.

PROJ6 support in GDAL won't help in any way. This is a pure GeoTIFF issue,
since GeoTIFF doesn't support this projection method, and I'm afraid there is
no clean resolution. Recent enough version of GDALs will incorporate a hacky
WKT in a PCSCitationGeoKey with a EXTENSION["PROJ4", ...] as the example you
shown. But I would be very surprised that GeoTools would understand that !

Actually you might add this use case to this ticket
https://github.com/opengeospatial/geotiff/issues/56 :-) if you want a
ultimately clean solution for that. But even using latest WKT version wouldn't
likely help, since as far as I remember, there is no standardized way in the
EPSG dataset to represent the geostationary projection and the sweep
parameter, so this would involve lobying at that level too.