[PROJ] [EXTERNAL] Re: Proj 6 API questions

Kristian Evers kristianevers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 23:09:44 PDT 2019

> On 26 Mar 2019, at 06:43, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, thanks. OK, I see it now in Properties/General/Measurement.
>>> Defining an ellipsoid that is not the same as the ellipsoid of the per-project
>>> CRS makes no sense to me. And I see this is what happens if opening for
>>> example a raster in UTM NAD27 in an empty project: the ellipsoid is set (or
>>> likely let to its default value of) WGS84 ! Aouch ! If it was me, I would just
>>> kill this definition of a custom ellipsoid…
>>>

>> I absolutely agree with Even here. This behaviour is odd and not what I
>> expected as user of QGIS. Now I wonder if I have introduced errors
>> somewhere in the past because I wasn’t aware of this (probably not, I
>> mostly work with GRS80 and WGS84).
>
> I honestly don't have any plans to change this behavior. I cannot see
> a way to remove this choice from users, as QGIS projects don't have a
> single CRS, but they DO need a single ellipsoid. The best we can do is
> make sure that a good default selection is given to users, but we
> cannot totally remove this choice.

There’s only one project CRS, right? I would say that the using the ellipsoid from that is a
good default and very likely what 99% of users would want.

In case there’s a mismatch between the user-selected ellipsoid and the ellipsoid of the
map/project CRS, how do you convert between the two ellipsoids?

/Kristian