[PROJ] PSC Motion: require SQLite 3.11 as minimum version

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Nov 7 08:37:12 PST 2019

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

>> This isn’t an optional requirement for
>> Proj6, basically it’s an unusably bad performance regression, so using
>> Proj6 requires a newer SQLite given current state.
>
> Agreed. This probably mostly affects RHEL 7 which, while not being antiquated
> from the point of view of RedHat's release policies, still ships with outdated
> components by todays' standards. So RHEL 7 users have two options: use PROJ
> 5.x or PROJ 6 + backported SQLite.

This is a fundamental issue with LTS releases.  The idea of building
current versions of software using dependencies from the LTS release
basically does not work.  Taken to the extreme, supporting that means
that every package has to work with all versions of dependencies -- and
compilers -- that were released over 5 years ago.

As for RHEL 7, it sounds like the question is "build modern proj with
old sqlite3", and it seems reasonable to just say that isn't supported;
presumably somebody choosing an LTS release also wants old proj, old
qgis, etc.  And if they want new, they probably should build an entire
tree of modern versions that are intercompatible.

All that said,

  NetBSD 8 base system: 	3.17.0
  pkgsrc 2019Q3:		3.29.0
  pkgsrc curent:		3.30.1

I don't have a NetBSD 7 system handy, or 9 (not released), but since
proj is in pkgsrc and not in base, it's trivial to make it depend on
pkgsrc sqlite3.

So I see no issue with requiring 3.11.

I geuss the question is

  If someone builds proj with sqlite3 so old that it will be slow, is it
  better to let it work and be slow or fail the build?

and I can see your point that it's better to fail.